|May 22, 2018|
|May 22, 2018|
Currency in TWD
|Full time employees:||--|
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co., Ltd. engages in the manufacture and sale of integrated circuits and wafer semiconductor devices. Its chips are used in personal computers and peripheral products; information applications; wired and wireless communications systems products; automotive and industrial equipment including consumer electronics such as digital video compact disc player, digital television, game consoles, and digital cameras. The company was founded by Chung Mou Chang on February 21, 1987 and is headquartered in Hsinchu, Taiwan.
Taiwan Semiconductor Mfg., better known as TSMC, is the world's largest semiconductor foundry.
It receives orders to make large-scale integrated circuits for smartphones, in addition to a variety of semiconductors for PCs and TVs.
According to U.S. research company Gartner, TSMC accounted for 53.7% of the market for semiconductor production outsourcing in 2014.
TSMC was established in 1987 at the initiative of the Taiwanese government to promote the country's semiconductor industry.
Morris Chang, the de facto founder and chairman, had served as group vice president at U.S. chipmaker Texas Instruments before taking the chairmanship at TSMC, by request of the government.
TSMC was the first in the world to specialize in semiconductor production outsourcing; it gets most of its orders from U.S. brands. In 2014, it contracted with Apple to make central processing units for the iPhone, significantly raising earnings.
The company, which also has plants in China and Singapore, faces a challenging future. In January of 2015, it sold its unprofitable light-emitting diode business. It must foster new businesses.
Chang is a charismatic corporate manager, but the market is closely watching for when the 80-something businessman retires from the managerial front line.
In the news
SMIC's $120m order shows zeal to hone domestic tech amid US trade spat
May 15, 2018 9:02 pm JST
TSMC and MediaTek rebound in April as emerging markets grab lower-end phones
May 15, 2018 12:00 am JST
Malaysia markets closed after surprise election win for Mahathir Mohamad
May 10, 2018 8:18 pm JST
Tencent, Samsung and TSMC climb 1.4% or more
May 8, 2018 8:09 pm JST
Parts suppliers scramble for solutions to Apple's woes and US ban on ZTE
May 3, 2018 6:53 am JST
Document also reveals chip venture seeks to outsell SoftBank-owned parent
May 3, 2018 2:04 am JST
- Local currency
- US Dollar
|Income before tax||393,147.08M|
|Dividends per share||8|
|Operating cash flow||595,753.07M|
Currency in TWD
|Income before tax||12,922.81M|
|Dividends per share||0.26|
|Operating cash flow||19,582.51M|
Currency in USD
- Co-General Manager & Director: Te Yin Liu
- Co-General Manager & Director: Che Chia Wei
- Vice President-Operations: T. S. Chang
- Head-Finance & Accounting, Senior Deputy GM: Li Mei Ho
- Vice President-Research & Technology Development: Michael Wu
- National Development Fund of The Executive Yuan(6.3%)
- Capital Research & Management Co. (World Investors)(4.4%)
- The Vanguard Group, Inc.(2.3%)
- BlackRock Fund Advisors(2.2%)
- Capital Research & Management Co. (Global Investors)(1.8%)
- Norges Bank Investment Management(1.3%)
- OppenheimerFunds, Inc.(1.2%)
- APG Asset Management NV(0.7%)
- Schroder Investment Management Ltd.(0.6%)
- Deutsche Asset Management Investment GmbH(0.6%)
- Website: http://www.tsmc.com
- Address: No. 8 Li-Hsin 6th Road, Hsinchu Science Park, Hsinchu, 300, Taiwan
- Phone: +886.3.563.6688
Copyright © 2018 FactSet Research Systems Inc. All rights reserved.